February 12, 2013

Some thoughts

29 days until I report. How crazy is that? I also found out that I arrive in Riverside on March 26. I will be in the MTC for ONLY 12 days.

Anyways. I have written this post and deleted it a couple times. Preparing for a mission is just so weird and overwhelming--it's something I definitely haven't experience before. I don't know exactly how to explain my thoughts because I have so many that come throughout the day...

Anyways. It's overwhelming to think that in 29 days I will be completely devoted to the Lord and His gospel. My good friend who is serving a mission right now said that a mission--these short 24 or 18 months--is the only time where we give the only thing that is ours--our agency--to God. This freaks me out big time. I have sacrificed 10% of my income and I go to church every Sunday and I babysit teach Sunbeams every Sunday, but I have never given all to the Lord. I know it will be a process but I hope that come September 2014, I will be able to report to the Lord in prayer and feel confident that I gave Him my all.

I stumbled upon 3 Nephi 5:13 the other day, "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." I, just like Mormon, have been called by God to declare His word to the people in Southern California. It is humbling to think that my Heavenly Father trusts me enough to teach His children. My mom was talking the other day about how missionary work is accomplished from Spirit to Spirit. Not from person to person. Or mind to mind. I hope that somehow, I might say the right things that enable the Spirit to touch their hearts and remind them of the truths they were taught prior coming to earth. I hope that I, along with my future companions will be able to teach in such a way that invites the spirit and thins the veil. I know that the spirit brings things to our remembrance. That was definitely the case for me as I received my endowments, and I know it is possible for those that I will be teaching and inviting to come unto Christ.

So those are some of my random thoughts. I cannot wait for March 13, 2013. I never ever thought I would be on a mission at 20, and was not even sure if I would serve at 21, but I am beyond grateful that I am able to serve a mission now. The Lord really does know and understand what is best for us, and serving at 20 is the best thing for me to be doing.

I know this gospel to be true. I have felt the love of Christ and of my Father in Heaven. I know that the priesthood keys have been restored to the earth. The atonement is real. God is real. He only desires for us to be happy and return to Him. As we learn to trust in Him and let Him mold us into what he needs us to become, we will have peace and purpose in life. Trials will have meaning and life becomes more important and enjoyable. I know that the temple is the House of God and that the covenants we make therein are vital to our exaltation. Most importantly, I know that I have a Father in Heaven that loves me and that He has a plan for me.

Until next time,

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. I knew a missionary in Germany who would quote that scripture to rude people. Sometimes he got a good response. Sometimes not so much. Still, I'm happy and excited for you and proud of you. Serving a mission is a tremendous sacrifice and it will try you in ways you didn't know were possible, but you will come out of it a stronger, more capable, better person. Just remember, it's okay to go a little crazy sometimes. Just use it to do good things. Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete